Beer-battered Mississippi Gulf Shrimp rolled in sweet coconut flakes and fried to a light, golden crisp.
TIME: 60 minutes
SEASON: spring, summer, fall, winter
• 16 oz Mississippi Gulf shrimp
• 1 each egg
• 3/4 cup flour, divided
• 2/3 cup beer
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 2 cup flaked coconut
• 3 cup oil for frying
1. In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder.
2. Place remaining flour in a small bowl, and coconut in another small bowl.
3. Hold shrimp by tail and dredge in flour, followed by egg/beer batter, and then coconut.
4. Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and repeat with remaining shrimp.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet.
7. Fry shrimp in batches, turning once if in a skillet, until golden brown. Using tongs, remove to paper towels to drain.
8. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice and green peas.