A hearty mix of Mississippi Gulf Oysters, bacon, potatoes and crackers stewed in a creamy broth.
TIME: 45 minutes
SEASON: spring, fall, winter
• 12 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, with liquid
• 10 strips bacon, fried and crumbled, fat reserved
• 1 each onion, sliced thinly
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 1 cup milk
• 2 cups water
• 2 each potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
• 3-7 each saltine crackers, crushed
1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp reserved bacon fat and sliced onion. Cook until golden brown.
2. Add flour and stir to remove any lumps.
3. Add water and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add potatoes and bring to a boil.
5. Add milk and bring to just under a boil.
6. Add bacon and crackers to adjust thickness of chowder as desired; reduce heat.
7. Add oysters and their liquor and let cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, or until the edges of oyster curl and are just cooked though.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a green salad with tomatoes and bell peppers.