Oyster Christmas Gumbo
Mississippi Gulf Oysters, chicken, andouille sausage simmered with onion, celery, peppers and garlic in a Dutch oven into a flavorful gumbo.
TIME: 180 minutes
SEASON: spring, fall, winter
• 16 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, with liquid
• 1 each whole chicken, cut up
• 8 oz ham
• 8 oz andouille sausage
• 1 each large onion, chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1 each bell pepper, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 2 each green onions, chopped
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 1-2 Tbsp filé
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
1. Put chicken in a covered Dutch oven with just enough water to cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and let simmer until just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
3. Remove chicken and reserve chicken broth in pot.
4. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add ham and sausage, and cook until golden brown.
5. Remove meat from pan and reserve, and add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and green onions.
6. Sauté until golden, then remove from the pan and reserve.
7. Make a roux in the same pan by adding the oil and flour, stirring constantly, until golden in color, then remove from heat.
8. Bring chicken broth to a boil in Dutch oven and whisk in roux.
9. Add oysters, reserved meats and vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and let cook 30 minutes.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning and thickness as desired.
11. Add oysters and filé and let cook another 15 minutes, adding water if gumbo is too thick.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice and the other holiday dishes