Mississippi Gulf Shrimp, Mississippi Blue Crab, chicken and smoky sausage in a tomato base with okra, onions, peppers, celery and chicken gravy.
TIME: 75 minutes
SEASON: spring, summer, fall, winter
• 8 oz Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled
• 8 oz Mississippi Gulf claw crabmeat
• 4 each chicken legs, skin on
• 6 oz smoky sausage
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 each bell pepper, chopped
• 1 each large onion, chopped
• 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
• 1 10-oz can RO*TEL Hot
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
• 8 oz okra, sliced
• 1 10.5-oz can chicken giblet gravy
• TABASCO® to taste
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 1-2 Tbsp filé
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and sausage, and cook until golden brown.
2. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, and let brown with meat.
3. Add just enough water to cover, stirring up all the brown bits from the bottom, and add tomatoes, RO*TEL Hot and tomato paste.
4. Reduce heat to just a simmer and cook until chicken is cookd through, 12-15 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from pot, let cool and remove meat from bone.
6. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and the okra, and sauté until just golden, then transfer to the Dutch oven.
7. In a skillet (cast iron if possible) over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp oil and flour and let cook, stirring constantly, until golden in color.
8. Whisk in giblet gravy and roux to the pot; season with filé, TABASCO®, salt and pepper and let cook 15 minutes.
9. Add shrimp, crab meat and chicken. Cook 10 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning, adding filé to taste.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over rice.