Blue Crab & Mushroom Chowder
A creamy, rich and satisfying chowder made with Mississippi Gulf Blue Crab, vegetables, mushrooms and more.
TIME: 30 minutes
SEASON: spring, fall, winter
• 8 oz Mississippi Gulf blue crabmeat (claw or lump), picked for shells
• 1 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
• 2 stalks celery
• 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 3 cups milk
• 1 cup half-and-half
• 2 each medium potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
• 1/2 tsp dried dill
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook mushrooms, green onions and celery in butter until tender.
2. Stir in salt and flour and stir to remove any lumps.
3. Add milk and half-and-half.
4. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Stir in crab, dill and cubed potatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve garnished with additional chopped green onion if desired.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, a nice green salad or good crusty bread and butter.