Half Shell Shrimp & Grits
Mississippi Gulf Shrimp sautéed in Southern Pecan BBQ Sauce and served over cheddar cheese grits.
TIME: 60 minutes
SEASON: spring, summer, fall, winter
• 2 cups whole milk
• 2 cups water
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal grits
• 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 4 tbsp unsalted butter
• fresh cracked pepper, to taste
• 2 tbsp cooking oil Southern Pecan BBQ Sauce
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale (or any English brown ale, adding ground pecans if you wish)
• 3 tbsp brown sugar
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 shallots, finely chopped
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste Shrimp
• 1 1/2 lbs Mississippi Gulf Shrimp
1. Start with the grits by bringing milk, water and salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly until smooth.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until smooth, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat; add cheese, butter and pepper, and stir well.
5. Pour into a buttered brownie pan, smooth into an even layer, and let cool.
6. When cooled, cut into 8 squares.
7. Heat a skillet over medium heat, add oil and sauté the squares lightly on each side until just golden. Reserve warm.
8. To make the Southern Pecan BBQ sauce, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning.
9. Lastly, heat the skillet from the grits over medium-high heat with half the BBQ sauce. Add the Mississippi Gulf Shrimp and cook, turning
once until just cooked though, about 5 minutes.
10. Serve over warm grits squares with remaining sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Make layered stacks of grits, shrimp and sauce for a dramatic presentation.