• 1/2 pound of lionfish, cut in 1/3 – 1/2 inch dice
• 1 small tomato, seeded and finely chopped
• 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
• 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
• 1-2 tablespoons mined jalapeño (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste and a pinch of ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (mirin or white vinegar may be substituted)
1. Mix lionfish, tomato, green pepper, red onion, cilantro, scallions, jalapeño (if using), salt and pepper in non-reactive bowl (glass or plastic).
2. Pour lime juice and vinegar over mixture and stir well. You may need more lime juice, if needed, and cover.
3. Refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally. Stir well before serving, tasting and adding more salt and/or pepper, if necessary.
4. Drain well and serve on a bed of lettuce, with tortilla chips or rice crackers
5. Garnish with avocados and sliced lime