Oyster & Andouille Pie
Mississippi Gulf Oysters, Andouille sausage, fresh vegetables and breadcrumbs are baked to a perfect golden brown in a flaky piecrust.
TIME 60 minutes
SEASON spring, fall, winter
• 16 oz Mississippi Gulf oysters, 1 cup liquid reserved
• 8 oz andouille or other smoked sausage, casing removed
• 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
• 1 each medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 each bell pepper, finely chopped
• 3 each bay leaves
• 3 each cloves garlic, chopped
• 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
• 1/4 cup oil
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
• 1 each 9-inch pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a skillet, add oil and sauté sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, until starting to brown.
3. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, bay leaves, garlic and parsley, and sauté until vegetables are softened.
4. Add oyster liquid and let simmer 10 minutes.
5. In a small bowl mix oil and flour into a paste to make a roux.
6. In a small skillet, heat the roux, cooking to a deep golden brown.
7. Add roux to vegetable and sausage mixture and stir in chicken broth. Let simmer 5 minutes.
8. Reduce heat, add the oysters, and let cook 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and fold in bread crumbs.
10. Pour into pie shell and bake 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
11. Remove form oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled vegetables or a nice salad.