Shrimp & Corn Chowder
A creamy, sweet and satisfying corn chowder featuring large Mississippi Gulf Shrimp, red potatoes and onions.
TIME: 45 minutes
SEASON: spring, fall, winter
• 16 oz large Mississippi Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 each large onion, chopped
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 4 each medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 14.5-oz can cream-style corn
• 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
• 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil and onion, and sauté until golden.
2. Add chicken broth and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes.
4. Add corn and cream and let cook another 2 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning.
5. When potatoes are tender, add shrimp and cook 2 minutes or until shrimp pink and just cooked through.
6. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Serving Suggestion: This chowder just needs good bread and butter and a little salad.